Great news, today is national candy corn day and to celebrate I made candy corn shaped lemon cake truffles. They are just like the regular lemon cake truffles I make, but this time I shaped and dipped them to make them look like jumbo pieces of candy corn. I brought these to work for our Halloween party potluck and they were a hit. Everyone kept coming up to me to tell me how wonderful they were and by the end of the day they had vanished off the plate. These cake truffles were surprisingly easier to make compared to the original ones. I put these in the fridge for an hour and it helped them keep their shape as I dipped them into their different colors. When it came to dipping I started off by dipping their bottoms in the yellow chocolate and then I set them on a parchment lined baking sheet. After they were all covered in the yellow I flipped them upside down and dipped the rest of the truffle in the orange chocolate and then I put them aside again until they were all dipped. Last I just dipped the tips in the white chocolate and then I set those aside to dry. I did not use any tools when it came to dipping. Since they held their shape pretty well I was able to use just my hands to dip them in the chocolates. Well I hope everyone has a wonderful day on national candy corn day.
Fun Candy Corn Facts
- More than 35 million pounds of candy corn is produced every year. That equates to 9 billion pieces, which is enough to circle the moon nearly 4 times if they were laid end-to-end.
- Halloween accounts for 75% of annual candy corn production.
- A cup of candy corn has less calories than a cup of raisins.
- Candy corn was first invented by George Renninger and produced by the Wunderlee Candy Company in the 1880's.
- Candy corn comes up for other holidays other than Halloween. There is reindeer corn for Christmas (red, green, and white). Indian Corn ( chocolate and vanilla). For Valentine's Day there is Cupid corn ( red, pink, and white). And for Easter there is Bunny Corn ( which is pastel colors).
I got this fun information from Candy Corn Wonderland.