Thursday, April 1, 2010

Coconut Cream Macaroons

A while back I was watching an episode of Desperate Housewives and the character Bree Van de Kamp made some beautiful Coconut Macaroons. I know she wasn't the one that made them, but I thought they looked so beautiful I just wanted to make some just as nice. So I began to search the web for that perfect macaroon recipe. After a couple of failed atempts at some of the recipes I found I finally found one that turned out great at BettyCrocker.com. Even though I still do not think they are as beautiful as Bree Van de Kamps, I think they still came out pretty tasty and everyone in my house agrees. So I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Coconut Cream Macaroons
7 2/3 (about 1 ½ 14 oz packages) sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
2/3 cup canned cream of coconut (not coconut milk)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper. Sprinkle 1 cup of the coconut on the foil and bake for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Cool. In a large bowl, mix together the toasted coconut, remaining coconut, flour and salt. In another bowl beat the condensed milk, cream of coconut, vanilla, almond extract, and egg until well mixed. Pour the milk mixture over the coconut mixture; stir until well mixed. On the cookie sheets lined with foil, drop mixture by heaping tablespoons, about 2 inches apart. Bake 12- 14 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately slide foil with cookies from sheet to the cooling rack and cool for about 30 minutes.

In a microwave safe dish melt the chocolate chips and oil until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Let stand until chocolate cools. Enjoy
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails