Thursday, September 5, 2013

Photo Tile Coasters




I wanted to make something special for my friend Beth's birthday. So I decided that I would make her some photo coasters of her and her daughter Jasey. A long time ago I saw the pin on Pinterest on how to make them so I pinned it for future use. They were actually very easy to make, but you do have to have time and patience because of the dry time between coats of Mod Podge and the spray acrylic adhesive. 

The hardest thing about making these coasters is picking the pictures you want to use. I went onto Beth's Facebook and began picking what pictures I wanted to use. I chose 10 that I liked the most and because I wanted the coasters to be black and white, I transferred the color photos to black and white for the coasters. After picking up the photos at the store I then chose the best 6 that fit onto the tile best. 

The finished tiles turned out great. I wrapped them with a cute bow and box and gave them to Beth. She absolutely loved her coasters. I also made her some Starbucks Frappuccino Cupcakes for her birthday as well, which she also loved. Whether you make these coasters for yourself or for a gift, you or your friend will absolutely love them.  


Photo Tile Coaster Supplies

6 white ceramic tiles 
6 photos 
Glossy Mod Podge
Clear Acrylic Adhesive ( I used the one put out by Plaid)
Black Felt
Hot Glue
Acrylic Paint
Paint Brush 
Sponge Applicator

First paint the edges of your tiles with the color of your choice, I chose black to make the photos stand out. After the edges are dry cut the photos down to the size of the tiles. Apply some Mod Podge to the back of the photos and place onto the tile. After they are dry apply a layer of Mod Podge on the top of the photo and tile then allow to dry. Apply a coat of Mod Podge 2 more times allowing time to dry between each coat. Now it is time to spray the acrylic adhesive. I did this outside, since it was very hot outside I brought them inside to dry because they were not drying outside, instead mine were just getting stickier. Before spraying the adhesive lay down some newspaper then wax paper on top of that. Now you can begin spraying. Do at least 5 coats allowing dry time between each. When I brought mine in the house to dry I would slide the wax paper with the tiles onto a cookie sheet and transport them that way. If the weather is nice then you can leave them outside to dry. After the 5 coats and they are dry, it is time to put the felt backing on them so they won't scratch your surfaces.  Cut the felt (I used black) to fit the tiles. Use hot glue to apply felt. Now you have a set of beautiful coasters to enjoy.  :)

I pin I found on Pinterest on how to make these came from TheFrugalGirls.Com

Here is how I presented the coasters to Beth :)

 This is the Picture Beth took of the Photo Tile Coasters and the Starbucks Frappuccino Cupcakes I made her for her Birthday :)
Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails