Monday, March 28, 2011

Blackberry Pie


More blackberries!!! I just couldn't resist buying more blackberries while at the grocery store last night, especially since they are on sale for buy one get two free. Who could resist such a great deal. Now I didn't want to make blackberry cobbler again, even though it tasted wonderful. I wanted to make something different this time around, therefore I decided on making a pie. Now usually I buy the pie dough at the store, but I decided to make it myself for a change. To my surprise it was easier than I thought it would be, so easy I would definitely make this pie crust again.

Pie Crust

1/2 cup vegetable shortening

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup cold water

Double if doing a two layer crust or lattice crust


Blackberry Filling

3 baskets of blackberries

1/4 cup granulated sugar


Toss the blackberries in sugar and set aside. Mix the shortening, flour and salt together using a pastry blender until well combined and crumbly. Add in the water a little at a time. Mix well using a fork until combined. Place dough on a floured surface and roll out into a 12 inch circle. Place the dough into a pie plate and cut off any excess dough. Add the blackberry mixture to the pie plate. If you want to make a lattice crust or give it a layer of crust on top then repeat the recipe to make more pie dough. If you choose not to do the lattice crust you can do a crumb topping if you like. If doing a lattice crust roll out the dough and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Weave the strips over and under to give the latticed look. Bake at 425*F for 15 minutes then turn the oven down to 375*F and continue to bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pie is done. Sprinkle a little sugar on top for a little sparkle. Serve and enjoy. :)


Pie crust recipe from allrecipes.com
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails