Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sweet and Salty Party Mix


A few weeks ago my mom hosted a Pampered Chef party, and when she throws parties she always serves great food. I was sad because I had to work that day and didn't think I would make it. Since I got off some what early, I realized I would make it to Atwater just in time to go to her party. I actually made it early enough that I was able to help her prepare. As I was helping her I noticed this delicious looking snack mix, so I snuck over to the table and sampled a little bit. It was so good that I kept going back for more until my mom yelled, "Save some for the Guest." When the party started I was able to eat some more. I kept thinking about the snack mix for a couple of weeks until I made some for myself. And of course it didn't last long. So let me warn you; if you like carmely, salty, crunchy snacks then you are going to love this party mix. Enjoy :)


Sweet and Salty Party Mix

1 package mini-size (3-3.5 oz) microwave popcorn (about 5 cups)

3 cups miniature pretzel twists

2 cups dry-roasted salted peanuts

2 cups oven-toasted rice cereal squares

1 cup butter (2sticks)

1 cup packed brown sugar

½ cup corn syrup

1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 300⁰F. Prepare popcorn according to package directions. In large mixing bowl, combine popcorn, pretzels, peanuts and cereal; set aside. Combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a medium size saucepan. Cook and stir with spoon over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to cook without stirring for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; carefully stir in baking soda.Pour caramel sauce over popcorn mixture; stir until evenly coated. Spoon onto large baking pan; bake 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven.Transfer popcorn mixture to a large piece of parchment paper. Cool completely, breaking mixture into clusters as it cools. Store mix in an airtight container for up to three days.Yield: 12 cups


Pecans, walnuts or macadamia nuts can be substituted for the peanuts, if desired.

You can also view this recipe on my Mom's blog Stefanie's Cooking Spot.

Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails